The best stackable washer dryer sets in 2022 give you more space and flexibility in your laundry room. But are they too tall? Will you be able to reach the top controls?
As the co-founder of Designer Appliances–a premier appliance store in New Jersey–I have 15+ years of experience. I've test-driven many of these LG washer dryer sets, visited the plants where they're made, and sat through countless hours of training. Most importantly, I've heard real-life feedback from our customers in real time.
Let's find the best stackable washer and dryer for you (including a new, hugely popular model in which height isn't a challenge!)
The 7 Best Stackable Washer and Dryer Sets in 2022
As a category, washing machines pack most of the features. That’s why the following reviews focus mainly on washers. Dryers typically follow a similar upgrade path to their matching washer. We'll point out when they have noteworthy features.
1. Best Overall Electrolux ELFW7637BW
Is it a match for you?
- Great in keeping mold away. Electrolux helped pioneer antimicrobial gaskets. In addition, the company does a great job in not letting water accumulate around the door.
- Best-in-class stain removal. The SmartBoost is a nifty feature that mixes water with detergent before adding it to the wash. The machine then times the release for a vigorous clean.
- Bright-white results without bleach. Optic Whites program is unique for Electrolux. It eliminates the need to use bleach. This is where Smart Boost premix meets fresh water injection and great filtration. Combined with the ideal wash temperature and specialized drum moves the Optic Whites program will get you whiter whites.
- 15-minute express cycle. Fast, yet surprisingly effective for both washer and dryer.
- Easy-to-read control panel. Knobs and menu are not too futuristic. Unlike its competition, Electrolux was able to keep the interface simple for every age group.
- Ideal for second-floor laundry setups. It is hard to control the high spin speed on washing machines. The company does a great job in minimizing vibrations. Electrolux occasionally offers second floor guarantee (warranty) to its customers.
- Doesn't have bulk detergent reservoir. Automatic detergent dispensing–fill it up once, then don’t hunt for the detergent for a month or two–is not an Electrolux feature, which is a shame, as it’s super-convenient.
- Dryer controls are high in stackable washer and dryer setup. LG and Samsung came up with products that allow the controls to be in the middle for stackable washers and dryers.
- Missing Wi-Fi connectivity. Not a dealbreaker for me but some people find it convenient to have app controls.
W x H x D (in): 27 x 38 (76 Stacked) x 32 | Capacity: 4.5 cu. ft. | RPM: 1,300 | Color: White, Titanium | Steam Washer/Dryer: Yes/Yes | Energy Star: Yes
Why I chose this Electrolux ELFW7637BW as our best overall set
The Electrolux washer throws many terms at us: OpticWhites; SmartBoost; LuxCare; PerfectSteam; InstantRefresh.
Let me cut to the chase and translate the meaning of these technologies:
This washing machine will get you a superior clean. It's gentle on clothes and has tons of options for a variety of use cases. Need to work on whites? Got a tough stain you need to remove? Rushing to get out of the house and need a quick wash in 15 minutes? Worried about allergies or sanitizing baby-clothes? There is a dedicated cycle for each of these conditions, and they work very well.
I love this washer's ease of use, attention to detail, and space considerations. (For one, it’s shallower than many models, which you may not realize you need until you encounter a bathroom-door-versus-dryer-door scenario.) The washer and dryer doors are both reversible–which is rare.
Tired of white and wanna have color in your laundry room? Try the titanium finish; it looks elegant.
Note: This product closely resembles the model just below it in price. The ELFW7537AW is a favorite of many review sites. However, I believe by spending an extra $100, you get an outsize value via Smart Boost stain removal and Optic White program.
2. Best Budget LG WM3400CW
Is it a match for you?
- Having an all-around modern washer that washes pretty well at a reasonable price.
- That it's a full-sized washer with a 30-inch shallow depth (the shallowest you can get in full size)!
- Not worrying about wrinkles when you forget your clothes in the dryer. It tumbles periodically until you can attend to it.
- The washer doesn't have too many options for express results.
- The matching dryer doesn't have steam.
- No interior light in the dryer.
- If you are not stacking, the door might be too low. Consider getting a pedestal.
How to catch the best deal? LG runs frequent promotions. Catching one of these seasonal events might allow you to get a higher-end laundry set at a discount. Check out the LG lineup for most up-to-date prices.
W x H x D (in): 27 x 39 (78 Stacked) x 30 1/4 | Capacity: 4.5 cu. ft. | RPM: 1,300 | Color: White | Steam Washer/Dryer: No | Stackable: Yes | Energy Star: Yes
LG WM3400CW in a nutshell:
This LG washer packs all essential laundry features at a reasonable cost.
What I like about LG is that the company uses the same powerful 1,300 RPMs motor in its entire lineup. That way even budget-conscious people don't lose out on an amazing clean.
This stackable pair is ideal for laundry rooms where depth can be a challenge. In general, LG makes the shallowest full-size washer-dryer models. At a slim 30-inch depth, this LG stackable washer is definitely one of the best choices if depth is a concern in your laundry room.
Despite its slim depth, it's still spacious at 27 inches wide and 4.5 cu. ft. capacity.
3. Best Budget w/Steam Samsung WF45B6300AW
Is it a match for you?
- A nearly unbeatable price for a stacked washer-dryer with this feature set.
- Its steam functionality (in both washer and dryer!)
- Its express cycles work well (in both washer and dryer!)
- Best-in-class vibration and noise reduction tech.
- Compatibility with the Samsung Smart Washer/Dryer app.
- Some customers believe that Samsung’s customer service may not have kept up with its exponential growth in the last decade or two.
How to catch the best deal? Samsung runs frequent promotions. Catching one of these seasonal events might allow you to get a higher-end laundry set at a discount. Check out the Samsung lineup for most up-to-date prices.
W x H x D (in): 27 x 38 3/4 (77 1/2 Stacked) x 31 3/8 | Capacity: 4.5 cu. ft. | RPM: 1,200 | Color: White; Platinum; Champagne | Steam Washer/Dryer: Yes/Yes | Energy Star: Advanced, CEE Tier 3
Samsung WF45B6300AW In a Nutshell
Anyone out there who wants to save but doesn't want to skimp on modern features in both the washer and dryer? Look no further: This Samsung WF45B6300AW comes in at an unbeatable price compared to its peers.
This innovative Samsung stackable washer has a steam feature and pairs with a steam dryer. That's a huge benefit because steam cleaning technology helps remove stains without pre-treating the fabric.
Samsung VRT Plus technology is designed to ensure a quieter spin cycle. That’s a big deal if your laundry room is above your office or next to a baby’s room. With its solid load-balancing system, devotion to aesthetics and generally high-end technology, Samsung is a generally good buy that won’t break the bank.
Bonus: Both the washer and matching dryer are compatible with the Samsung Smart Washer/Dryer app, which allows you to stay connected to your machines and troubleshoot any problems using your smartphone.
4. Best Large Capacity GE GFW850SPNRS w/Bulk Dispenser
Is it a match for you?
- Best in class front-load washer that fights mold.
- Excellent cleaning results. 1-Step Wash and Dry program is innovative.
- Bulk automatic detergent dispenser is a time-saver.
- The Sapphire Blue color is a customer favorite.
- This GE washer and dryer set might be too high in a stackable format.
- Does not have a compelling express wash option for large or heavily soiled loads
W x H x D (in): 28 x 39 3/4 (79 1/2 Stacked) x 34 | Capacity: 5.0 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 12/10 | RPM: 1,300 | Color: White, Sapphire Blue | Steam Washer/Dryer: Yes/Yes | Stackable: Yes | Energy Star: Yes
Why I chose this GE GFW850SPNRS as our best large capacity washer?
This GE washer and dryer has larger capacity than most of the front load washers on the market. Its 5.0 cu. ft. interior can hold king-size bedding with ease. It will allow you to fit more in each wash to prevent neverending laundry sessions.
While modern stackable washers are gentle with fabrics, customers routinely complain about moldly gaskets and detergent dispensers. GE has cracked the code for front-load mold with this large-capacity washer. The brand developed special gaskets with antimicrobial properties called OdorBlock that actually keep mold from forming.
If you’re someone who hates cleaning the washer gasket every time you run a load or will never remember to leave the door open, this is the washer for you. (In fact, I had had it with my moldy washer–until I found this one, which I love.) Its innovative gasket has larger drain holes; there’s also a fan system circulating air.
Other things I love: a smart bulk detergent dispenser that allows you to store 32 loads' worth of detergent.
The one thing you may not love is its bulky nature. Just make sure to measure your space before you commit to buying this GE.
The only other con? I had a tricky time with my home circuit breakers; GFCI units were tripping, and I had to replace the breaker. Other customers have complained of something similar. (GE resolved this problem on a running update.) Fortunately, GE customer service is best-in-class, so an agent was able to resolve any issues without much trouble.
Top marks for customer service and reliability, a great anti-mold feature, and nice capacity and convenience features may make this the set for you.
5. Best Budget Compact Bosch WAT28400UC
Is it a match for you?
- The extraordinary reliability of the Bosch brand.
- A slim width of 24", ideal for apartment dwellers.
- It's incredibly quiet.
- A ventless dryer that means you can install almost anywhere.
- Moist air + no air circulation = a very long drying time if you close those closet doors.
- Water temperature up to 145 F. Upgrade to 500 series and up for 170 F temperature.
- At this time Bosch only focuses on 24-inch compact size washing machines with ventless electric dryers. There are no large-sized, gas, or venting options.
W x H x D (in): 23 1/2 x 33 1/4 (66 1/2 Stacked) x 24 1/4 | Capacity: 2.2 cu. ft. | Cycles/Options: 15/6 | RPM: 1,400 | Color: White | Reversible Hinge Washer/Dryer: No/No | Energy Star: Yes |
Apartment dwellers and their landlords love this model, as do those adding second-floor laundry who need to fit a washer and dryer into a closet. Bosch is renowned for its reliability, and we think these machines are small but mighty.
If you’re looking for a compact washer and dryer that's budget-friendly, this pair offers powerful features in a small, relatively affordable package.
The 24-inch Bosch washer holds up to 15 pounds per load, which is the equivalent of about 16 towels. Only need to wash a small load? You can do it in just under 30 minutes.
The matching dryer is a ventless condensation dryer without an external duct, so it's a great option if you live in an apartment or house without the ability to vent out.
Note: The 300 series Bosch we picked is the entry-level, budget compact washer, but if you can spend a little more, you may want to do so. This model can only get the water temperature up to 145 degrees. The upper-level 500 and 800 series Bosch can clean clothes with 170-degree water. (Parents with new babies may care!)
6. Best Overall Compact Miele WXR860WCS
Is it a match for you?
- You want best-in-class clean. Maintain bright colors and whites; trust Miele with your silk, woolens and engineered sports fabrics.
- You need a washer-dryer you can park absolutely anywhere. (Small footprint and uses a regular 120 outlet!)
- You need a ventless dryer that still does an excellent job. (Heat pump technology.)
- You don’t want to worry about loading detergent for a month or two.
- Pricier than most washers and dryers.
- Cumbersome initial Wi-Fi set-up.
- You can use any brand soap in the standard detergent dispenser. However, TwinDos bulk dispenser only uses the Miele detergent.
- Dryer ends the cycle using cold air to preserve fabrics. If you want the satisfaction of having toasty towels, try a traditional dryer.
- Miele only makes 24-inch compact washing machines with ventless electric dryers. There are no large size, gas, or venting options.
W x H x D (in): 23 1/2 x 33 1/2 (67 Stacked) x 25 5/16 | Capacity: 2.26 cu. ft. | RPM: 1,600 | Color: White | Hinge Location Washer/Dryer: Left/Right | Reversible Hinge Washer/Dryer: No/Yes | Stackable: Yes | Energy Star: Yes |
Why I chose this Miele WXR860WCS as the best compact stackable washer and dryer?
This compact Miele washer and dryer comes with multiple unique yet thoughtful features that other brands don't have.
Take as an example the TwinDos bulk detergent dispenser—a quirky name for an awesome feature that stores up to 3 months worth of detergent. In addition, the TwinDos system uses precise amount soap (and bleach, if need be) for the best cleaning results.
The Miele WXR860WCS washer is the only residential product on the market that offers a whopping 1,600 RPM spinning motor. This feature makes it possible for you to quickly get rid of excess water, leaving less work for the dryer, and shortening the drying time.
Then there’s the versatility: This combo runs on a “normal” 120-volt outlet rather than requiring 240 volts. Its dimensions are truly compact, with a 24-inch width and 25-inch depth. Put it anywhere that has a water line and a drain. If you are replacing an old 220V model (e.g. a Bosch), Miele even offers a NEMA adapter so you don't need to call an electrician.
The Miele offers 25 specialized wash settings and Miele’s patented honeycomb drum, which is designed to be gentle on even the most delicate clothing and fabrics.
As for the dryer, the Miele T1 heat pump dryers are fast, energy-efficient, and gentle on clothes (they are designed not to overheat fabrics). The TWi180WP dryer also has a steam cycle to help sanitize and de-wrinkle clothes.
Most ventless dryers release heat and moisture back into the room. Not with the Miele dryer. This way you can close the closet doors when the Miele is operational.
7. Most Innovative LG Wash Tower WKEX200HBA
Is it a match for you?
- You love the idea of a centrally located control panel to eliminate step stools and stretching. (And save on the height for more versatile fit.)
- You want a simple-to-install machine. (No stacking kit, screws or the like, plus a more manageable height.)
- Get all the benefits of a high-performance LG washer in a stackable form.
- If one thing breaks and isn’t fixable, you’re looking at potentially replacing both the washer and dryer at once.
- The LG Washtower does not have a 24-inch width option for compact apartment closets.
Width: 27 inches | Height: 74 3/8 inches | Depth: 30 3/8 inches | Capacity: 4.5 cu. ft. (washer)/7.4 cu. ft. (dryer) | Cycles/Options: 6/6; 10/9 | RPM: 1,300 | Color: White, Black Steel | Hinge Location Washer/Dryer: Left/Left | Reversible Hinge Washer/Dryer: No/Yes | Energy Star: Yes Tier 2 |
Stackable washer and dryer sets have always had accessibility issues—setting and unloading the dryer is tricky if you can't reach. Not anymore. The LG WashTower solves this major problem.
With other stackable sets, the dryer controls are usually too high. Some have an angled control panel that's designed to fix this problem. We find that they look nice, but don't really help that much, in reality.
The LG WashTower is a shorter, two-in-one unit. It combines a full-sized, fully featured, modern front-load washer with a matching steam dryer in one "tower" (thus the name). The controls are in the middle, between the two doors. This innovation not only places the controls at a convenient level, it also helps shave about six inches off the overall height so it can fit in spaces with lower ceilings.
The first LG WashTower models came with either a vented gas or electric dryer. We thought it was a drawback that a ventless dryer wasn't an option, since that would give people even more installation flexibility. Recently, LG listened to demand and released a ventless version with a dual heat pump dryer. Now it can go pretty much anywhere you want to do laundry—mudroom, bedroom, closet, you name it.
Is it a match for you?
- You're tight on horizontal space but have vertical space to spare.
- You've got a small closet you want to double as a laundry room.
- You've had it with contorting yourself to get your clothes out of the washer or dryer.
- You like modern, streamlined spaces, or built-ins such as drying racks.
- You're tired of laundry dominating the whole room.
- There's just something about a top load washer's traditional deep-soak wash action you prefer. (Deciding between Front load vs top load washer can be tough!
- You're on the shorter side. With stackables, the dryer has to sit atop the washer, so its controls are sometimes more than six feet in the air. Step stools get old. That said, LG and Samsung washers like the WashTower have a dual menu where washer meets dryer.
- You can't fit the stackable setup in your space! (Measure three times; modern machines are often much bulkier than their predecessors.)
Compact or Full-Size?
One question that consistently comes up when people are shopping for a new washer and dryer is, "What's the difference between compact and full-size models?"
Full-size washers and dryers are typically 27 inches wide. You'll find a few 29- and 30-inch models out there, but those aren't stackable. The interior volume's at least 4.5 cu. ft. for the washer and 7.0 cu. ft. for the dryer.
Apartment size or compact unit washer and dryer models are 24 inches wide and ventless. The standard interior volume is 2.2 cu. ft. for the washer and 4.2 cu. ft. for the dryer. The main benefit of a compact stackable laundry set is installation versatality. In addition to being smaller, the dryer doesn't need to be vented to the exterior of your home.
How Do I Stack a Washer and Dryer?
You may be wondering if you need a stacking kit for your washer and dryer, and how difficult it is to do on your own. Although it may seem intimidating, stacking a washer and dryer is pretty straightforward and simple. In fact, the only parts involved are a front load dryer, front load washer, and a separate stacking kit. The stacking kit secures the two machines together safely and solidly.
You should never try to stack your washer and dryer without a stacking kit. Even minimal vibrations could cause them to shift, resulting in the top machine falling off. This could damage your home or injure a family member. Please be safe.
It’s also important to remember that the washer always goes on the bottom in a stacked arrangement. The washer is much heavier than the dryer (particularly when filled with water), so it provides a secure base. It also tends to vibrate more than the dryer, making the floor a much safer place for it to be.
Avoid These Common Mistakes
There may only be a handful of Martha Stewarts out there who actually enjoy doing laundry, but it's still exciting to get a new stackable washer and dryer for your home. The new finish, better cleaning technology, and faster wash times will make the chore easier and much more doable. But you don't necessarily want to buy the first set you lay eyes on.
Expert help can be hard to come by in your local home improvement store or when shopping online. Since it can be difficult to get good advice, many people make mistakes when buying a stackable washer and dryer.
That's why we’ve put together this list to help you save time and money.
Measure Your Space
You’d be surprised by the number of people who forget to measure their space. Break out the tape measure and find out how much room you’re working with, then compare those measurements with those of your prospective new washer and dryer.
For width, modern machines generally come in sizes of 24, 27, or 29 inches. Modern machines are about three to four inches deeper than older models, so double-check the depth.
Be sure to measure vertical space as well, particularly when you’re going for a stacked arrangement.
And don't forget doorways and hallways. A delivery team has to be able to get the machines to your laundry room!
Check the Height:
Remember that in a stacked configuration, you'll have to reach the controls at the top of the dryer. That's why it's important to ensure that the model you choose has accessible buttons that aren't located along the dryer's back ridge. This will make it easier to reach the controls and operate the dryer.
Know Your Dryer Type:
There are various types of dryers available based on how they’re powered and how they vent off heat.
Gas dryers use gas to power their functions, while electric dryers use a 220V electrical connection. (The only exception to this rule are Miele dryers, which use a 110V connection with their heat pump dryer technology.) We've put together a guide to explain the pros and cons of gas vs electric dryer models. Unless you're building a new home from scratch, you'll likely want to go with the hookup you already have.
Vented dryers connect to the wall via a hose that pipes hot, moist air out of your dryer and laundry space to the outdoors, away from your home.
Ventless dryers use a condenser to eliminate excess moisture, and don't require a vent or connection hose.
Ideally, you'll want to go with a vented dryer because they're easier to find and dry your clothes faster and more effectively. Ventless dryers do have an eco advantage, however.
Be Prepared. Here Are the Parts You'll Need:
The last thing you want is to bring your new appliances home and then have to go to the hardware store for additional parts. Save yourself the trouble by purchasing all the parts you'll need ahead of time.
Depending on your appliance selection, you may want to pick up:
- A stacking kit (specific to the model)
- Intake hoses (we recommend stainless-steel braided hoses)
- A dryer vent kit
- A 220V electric cord (for electric dryers)
- A flex hose for gas connection (for gas dryers)
- A Y-adapter (if your dryer has a steam function and needs access to a water pipeline)
- A Miele NEMA adapter (if you're replacing an old dryer with a Miele dryer)
Pro Tip! Review our how to prepare for your washer and dryer installation checklist.
Don’t Forget the Hinges:
Take note of which direction your washer and dryer doors should swing open. Some models have reversible hinges to swing in either direction based on your space's needs, but many don't. Make sure your space will allow you to open your washer and dryer doors fully, put clothes in, and pull them out. Sometimes cabinet doors, closet doors, and even attic pull-down ladders can get in the way.
Lose the Pedestals:
Some side-by-side laundry arrangements place the washer and dryer on pedestals in order to add storage space underneath. You won't need pedestals if you're switching to a stacked configuration. Pedestals aren't practical because they raise the dryer so high that just about anyone would have a tough time reaching the controls.
Make a Connection: Water, Gas/Electric & Vent:
Connections for stackable washer and dryer sets are the same as they are for traditional arrangements. You’ll need a 110V connection for the washer, plus a water intake and drain. The dryer will either use gas or a 220V electric connection. Some dryers offer a steam feature, though these units generally come with a Y-adapter that allows them to share a water supply line with the washer.
Our Stackable Washer and Dryer Rating Criteria
- Basic cleaning; 1,100 to 1,200 RPM spin speed washer; no steam.
- Drum "choreography" for better cleaning; 1,300-1,400 RPM spin speed; Good stain removal; allergen cycles; At least one specialty (wool; silk) or sanitization cycle; Short wash cycles; Automatic load detection.
- Best-in-class washing jets; Advanced drum moves; Excellent stain removal tech; 1,300-1,600 RPM spin; Extra gentle on clothes; Specialty and sanitization cycles; Short-wash cycles (without sacrificing on clean); Optimum mix of detergent, pods, and other solutions for perfect clean.
- Timed dry; Plenty of interior capacity.
- Sensor dry; Steam cycle; Some specialty cycles and options; Ventless condensation compact dryer.
- Advanced sensor dry; Steam, refresh, allergen cycles; Quick dry option under 20 minutes; Heat-pump compact dryer; Both 120V and 220V compatible.
- Detergent, bleach, and softener compartments. (Check for bleach compartment on compact washers some do not have it).
- Easy-to-clean dispenser housing; Stacking kit with pull-out shelf.
- Automatic bulk detergent dispenser; Wi-Fi controls; Eye-level controls. Interior lights.
- Alloy drum; Less than 4.5 cu. ft. (2.2 cu. ft. for compact) washer space.
- Stainless-steel drum; May have patterns to prevent snags; Anti microbial surfaces to fight mold; Reversible door; Leak detection; Over 4.5 cu. ft. (2.2 cu. ft. for compact) washer space.
- Stainless-steel drum is gentle on fabrics and has patterns to prevent snags; Anti microbial surfaces along with proper ventilation to prevent mold; Reversible door for both washer and dryer; Advanced leak detection.
- Leveling legs.
- Vibration reduction technology.
- Advanced vibration reduction for uneven surfaces and unbalanced loads.
- Expected to last between five and seven years; Good service network.
- Designed to last around 10 years.
- Engineered to last 10 to 20 years.
The cleaning performance of a modern stackable washer and dryer will leave you pleasantly surprised. Advanced vibration controls and efficient motors make these laundry machines extra-quiet, too.
Since there are hundreds of different products on the market, selecting a washer can be challenging. But the stellar models we highlighted above should hopefully make the process easier for you, even if you simply use their features as guideposts for your own search. Put our advice to use, and you'll love your new washing and drying routine.
Credits: Design by Emily Barry at Rehabitat Interiors (@em_rehabitat); photo by Tim Lenz (@timlenzphoto)
Are stackable washers and dryers full-size?
Yes, many are. Most manufacturers make full-size (27-inch width) stackable washer and dryer models. A handful of manufacturers like Bosch and Miele offer only compact stackable models, which measure 24 inches wide.
Which stackable washer and dryer brands are the most reliable?
All of our top picks are some of the most reliable washer and dryers on the market. Generally, the top brands for reliabilty include Samsung, Bosch, Electrolux, LG, and Miele, among other brands. We recommend that you do some research to determine which of the most reliable picks fit your needs best.
Are stackable washer and dryers as good as side-by-side ones?
Yes. We find that, in general, front load machines perform better all around than top load machines do, whether or not you stack them. Top load machines, of course, can only sit side by side. Ultimately, when you're dealing with a smaller laundry room, a stackable washer and dryer is a necessity.
What are stackable washer and dryer dimensions?
The dimensions of a full-size stackable washer and dryer are as follows: approximately 27 inches wide, 76 inches tall, and 32 inches deep.
Stackable compact washers and dryers are approximately 24 inches wide, 67 inches high, and 25 inches deep.
Keep in mind that sizes may vary from brand to brand. If you have a tight space, please check out the product specs before making a purchase. We pointed out above which of our picks are ideal for narrower spaces.