The best microwave drawer models in 2022 free up space in the kitchen with their revolutionary under-counter design, but the enhanced aesthetic comes at a price (both financial and functional).
I'm the founder of Designer Appliances, a premier appliance store in New Jersey, and I have 15+ years of appliance experience. I've test-driven most of these microwave drawers, but most importantly, I've heard real-life feedback from our discerning customers.
These six microwave drawers are the ones I recommend to customers, family, and friends. Some offer convenient features for everyday use, while others look great. Let's explore the pros and cons and find the best microwave drawer for you.
Is it a match for you?
Pros: Reasons To Buy a Microwave Drawer
- They save you valuable kitchen space. Microwave drawers save valuable countertop space. A freestanding microwave can take up around 4 sq. ft of precious preparation space and be hard to hide into existing cabinets.
- Easy to clean. Without a rotating plate inside, the inside surfaces are completely smooth so there are no nooks and crannies for food to get stuck in. This makes microwave drawers much easier to clean.
- They blend with your kitchen. Microwave drawers can be installed standing proud or flush with your cabinetry and make better use of space by fitting under your counter or in an island. There is also the option of stacking with a single oven or warming drawer, so all your cooking appliances are in the one place.
- They are safer & easier to reach. Taking hot and heavy plates out of a raised microwave is an accident waiting to happen, but as a microwave drawer is lower, you will be able to see better and have more control.
- Child proof. Microwave drawers have a child lock, so even if they can reach it, your child still won't be able to tamper with it.
Cons: Reasons To Avoid a Microwave Drawer
- A microwave is meant to be ultra-convenient and fast.
Over the years we've been programmed to push a large size "button" to immediately release its door; place our food or drink inside, and open/shut the door again to finish. Quick, right?
*Not* in a microwave drawer. For the same "operation" you'll need to **wait for the drawer to extend and retract 4 times**. How do I know that this might annoy some people? Because, I have one in my house. At times, the slow motion open/close action tests the patience of our family members.
The 6 Best Microwave Drawers
With so many big-name brands now providing microwave drawers as part of their kitchen appliance selections, it can be hard to know which one to choose. Here are some of our favorite microwave drawer models of the year.
1. Best Overall Sharp Microwave Drawer, SMD2470ASY
Is it a match for you?
- Simple, low-profile all-rounder microwave drawer, minimal on the auxillary bells and whistles, with maximum performance and cooking power.
- Control panel is hidden. The 45 degree tilt is great but if you don't want to see a protruding part it might not be ideal for you.
Why We Chose It: Sharp's long set the benchmark for what a microwave drawer should be, and they continue to set new benchmarks with each new model.
As the pioneer of microwave drawers, Sharp supplies all the vital components that other manufacturers use in their appliances. These industry-leading machines come fitted with:
- 950 watts of power
- Visible or concealed display
- 45-degree angle control panel
- Stainless steel or black stainless finish
- Multiple control options
Sharp released an updated version of the 24-inch microwave drawer with wi-fi connectivity and a door that opens with a wave of your hand. Otherwise, the SMD2489ES has the same dimensions and feature set as the SMD2470ASY. Unless you are a tech enthusiast, we do not see a compelling reason to upgrade to this model.
Other Sharp Microwave Drawer Models:
- KB6524PSY 24" with Curved Handle.
- SMD2470ASY | Best Seller, comes in 24" or 30", Hidden-Angled Controls, Optional Kit for Flush Installations (Black Stainless Steel version SMD2470AH).
- SMD2489ES This new addition comes with Wifi connectivity and an app for receipes and troubleshooting, 24", Wave-to-Open Door |
- SMD2499FS Brand new microwave drawer with convection cooking technology (a.k.a. standard oven features). Advanced mobile app for receipes and troubleshooting, 24", Wave-to-Open Door
Pro Tip! Facing the Sharp microwave drawer shortage? Consider Beko MWDR24100SS drawer microwave as a credible alternative. Beko was able to secure the stock this year. Its microwaves are still made by Sharp, but enhanced with a high-end finish and 2 year warranty. In addition, the Beko comes with the flush mount kit which saves you $150 compared to other drawer options.
2. Best Flush Install Bosch HMD8451UC
- Making your kitchen redesign as classy and aesthetically pleasing as possible - even down to the microwave!
- The control panel is horizontal. This makes it hard to see it without bending down.
Why We Chose It: Your kitchen appliances should be crafted like works of art, and be able to help you effectively craft a myriad of culinary works of art. If you fancy yourself the Van Gogh of heating up your frozen chicken tenders to just the right time and temperature, Bosch has tailor made the perfect cooking canvas for you.
If you already have Bosch appliances in your kitchen, then the beautiful design of a Bosch microwave drawer will fit right in. When you purchase a suite of Bosch appliances from us, you can receive a 10-15% rebate depending on the configuration.
If you're specifically opting to buy this new beautiful flush door model from Bosch, you'll also get:
- 950 watts of cooking power
- 24” model flush with cabinet
- 30” model flush or proud installation
- Soft glide touch controls
- Convenient automatic sensor programs
- Elegant and modern LCD display
- 30” can be installed below a wall oven
- Automatic sensor technology
This humble little 950 watt cooker that can has just the right cutting edge technologies and dynamic sensors to warm your leftovers up to just the right textures and temperatures.
3. Best Warranty Thermador MD24WS
- Comes free as part of Thermador's 1-2-Free rebate.
- Color combination is ideal for Thermador kitchen packages. The light gray/stainless steel color might not be ideal for all designs.
Why We Chose It: This versatile flush mount machine is fitted with 10 multifaceted cooking modes, a powerful 1,500 cooking watts, and has a generous warranty offer to back up it's efficacy.
The MD24WS comes with a 2 year factory warranty. In addition, Thermador has a great rebate program (a.k.a. 1-2-Free) where you can get this microwave drawer for free with a qualified package order. You'll also be able to get wonderful perks like:
- 2-year warranty coverage
- 950 cooking watts
- Glass touch controls
- 10 cooking modes
- Sensor cooking
- Blue LCD display
- Built-in flush installation
Like what you see? Consider swinging by our showroom sometime and giving this model a gander.
Important Product Update
The Thermador wall oven received a major design change which impacted the microwave drawer line. The new models now feature even better integration for flush mount installs, both for the 24" and 30" drawers.
The face plate of the microwaves match with rest of the Thermador offerings better than ever before, and the warranty remains the same at 2 years. Here are some newer iterations of these models:
4. Best Service Wolf MS24TES
Who It's For: Faithful Wolf buyers who are looking for a great microwave drawer to complement their current Wolf oven.
Why We Chose It: This microwave drawer continues Wolf's seven decade long tradition of making quality industry leading trailblazers, and will lend itself nicely to your current set of Wolf products.
A Wolf microwave drawer will match well with your existing Wolf wall oven and comes with an excellent warranty. However, the biggest reason why people choose a Wolf product is Wolf's dedication to customer service.
Wolf is the only appliance company in the US which is dedicated to your satisfaction. Although Wolf's technology is patentend by Sharp, all microwaves are manufactured to Wolf's quality standards and testing. This approach pays dividents to its customers as Wolf appliances are less likely to be serviced.
If you plan on picking up this new wonder drawer from Wolf, look forward to recieving:
- A 2-year full warranty and 5-year limited warranty
- 950 watts of cooking power
- 10 cooking presets, including Keep Warm mode
- A specialty gourmet mode for detecting humidity and moisture
- Automatic cook time and power adjustments for delicious results
- 24” MD24TES E Series - Transitional
- 30” MD30TES E Series - Transitional or MD30PE/S E Series - Professional
5. Best Convection Sharp SMD2499FS w/Conveciton
Who It's For: Buyers who are after a smart microwaving experience like no other.
Why We Chose It: This smart, WiFi-compatible Sharp convection microwave drawer is the only model on the market that comes with convection cooking. Yes, even your microwave can have an app for it now, and with over 50 built-in cooking programs, we feel that Sharp offers one of the best.
This model's added smart convention capability allows you to use the SMD2499FS akin to a regular oven, saving you space. Also, you will be able to declutter your countertop more as you will no longer need the toaster oven.
Sharp reprogrammed its mobile app to support the release of the convection microwave drawer. The app now comes with 50 programs that you could use to give yourself a reprive when planning a meal. In addition, you can program up to 30 additional favorites in your menu.
With the Sharp convection microwave drawer you can grill burgers, toast bread, and even air fry chicken tenders. This microwave accommodates 9 x 13-inch cooking sheet and comes with racks and tools to get you started.
This microwave drawer is easy to operate from your app or using the angled control panel which hides with a touch of a finger. The door opens smoothly (if you prefer, with a wave of a hand), and closes with a gentle nudge. You do not need to worry about spilling the soup or your coffee when the door glides in and out.
6. Bonus Pick Viking VMOD5240SS
Who It's For: People looking for a traditional, old school, and frill-free microwaving experience.
Why We Chose It: If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's the adage all appliance owners without a warranty hope to live by, and the one which Viking has been living by for several years now. Fortunately, Viking has their latest microwave drawers covered for up to five years of warranty.
Viking has been running this line of popular 1,000 Watt microwave drawer for the past few years VMOD5240SS, and backing it's long term success with long term:
- Full 2-year warranties
- 5-year limited warranties
- 90-day cosmetic warranties
It might be a good idea to use Viking wall ovens to facelift your existing kitchen appliance products, and to match the streamlined look of Sharp and other competitors.
The Monogram Microwave Drawer ZWL1126SJSS also has a great price point and complements the greater product line.
3 Burning Questions We Get From Our Customers
1) Where do I install the microwave drawer?
A microwave drawer sits under kitchen countertops like a regular drawer and can be installed flush or proud (i.e. protruding slightly from the cabinet) to your surrounding cabinets. This is why some people call them under counter microwaves.
They can fit in well with any design and look stylish while making it easier to tend to your baked potato or microwave corn on the cob. You can also place a microwave drawer in a corner or next to a wall. Essentially, consider it like an oven.
2) How do I use a microwave drawer? Is it different than a regular microwave?
- Open the drawer up with the easy touch of a button once you're ready to place your food on the tray.
- Close the drawer (with a light tap or using the close button) and choose your cooking time on the touch control panel.
- When cooking time is complete, open the drawer and take out your food.
3) What sizes do they come in?
Across all brands, there are two sizes of microwave drawer available regarding the exterior width, but the interior measurements are the same.
Outside width: 24-inches or 30-inches are the main choices 24" being the most popular size.
Interior space: 17 5/16” W x 7 1/8” H x 16 9/16” D (1.2 cu. ft) - same for 24-inch or 30-inch models.
The only exception is the new Sharp convection microwave drawer SMD2499FS. It is still 24-inches wide; however, the SMD2499FS is bulkier (higher) than other standard drawer microwave models at 23-5/8" W x 19-1/2" H x 20-7/8" D (1.4 cu. ft). The interior dimensions of the cavity are 16-15/16" W x 8-3/4" H x 16-7/16" D.
Microwave drawer vs countertop microwave
You’re not missing out on any important features by choosing a microwave drawer. You will still get:
- Numerous power levels
- Open/close door button
- Cooking/reheating sensor
- Defrost mode
- Beverage mode
- Melt/soften/keep warm modes
- Clock with time features
- Child lock
- Smooth glide for no liquid spills
Please note at this time that microwave drawers do not come with convection cooking options, which means you cannot broil and bake like a regular oven.
A microwave drawer is a great way to upgrade the overall design of your kitchen. While you will pay a bit more for a microwave drawer, the longer life-span of the drawer (over a countertop microwave) as well as the ease of use and ergonomic benefits under the counter are well worth it.
Some manufacturers offer a free microwave drawer or a money back rebate when purchasing their appliance packages. We find this value-driven incentive a great way to include one of these fantastic products in your kitchen plans.
Are Microwave Drawers Worth It?
A typical microwave drawer costs approximately $999. A typical mid-range, highly rated built-in microwave such as the Frigidaire Professional FPMO227NUF costs $399 and it needs to be integrated with a trim kit which typically costs $149 for a total of $548.
Considering you will not be able to install a built-in microwave under a counter or like a drawer in island the premium is less than $500. Also, keep in mind that some manufacturers offer savings towards microwave purchases in order to encourage kitchen appliance package sales.
What Are The Benefits Of A Microwave Drawer:
If you're after minimalist cooking, you can never go wrong with a microwave drawer, humble machines capable of delivering tremendous cooking power in a convenient, compact package. We would even argue that the best convection microwave drawers can go toe to tow with full fledged convection ovens.
Do Drawer Microwaves Need To Be Vented?
Since drawer microwaves are self contained appliance units, no additional ventilation systems are required to use them.
Are microwave drawers a fire hazard?
The highest quality drawer microwaves are superbly fire resistant, though microwaves can still face the same potential fire hazards that you could experience with any other cooking appliance. Use your drawer microwave responsibly and abide by common sense cooking safety rules, just as you would with your oven or grill.